Our aim in teaching English is that all children will:
- Develop positive attitudes towards books so that reading is a pleasurable activity.
- Use and apply phonological, contextual, grammatical and graphic knowledge in order to gain an increased level of fluency and understanding.
- Use reading as a means of gathering information to support their learning throughout the curriculum.
- Write in different contexts for different purposes and audiences, including themselves.
- Write with increasing awareness of the conventions of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Form letters correctly, leading to a fluent and legible handwriting style.
- Develop listening and comprehension skills through a variety of means, including reciprocal and non-reciprocal situations.
- Express opinions, articulate feelings and formulate appropriate response to increasingly complex questions and instructions.