Child Protection and Safeguarding
The latest Government guidance on Safeguarding can be found here.
All staff, including temporary staff and volunteers are subject to stringent background checks including clearance with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to ensure their suitability for working with children.
West Heath Primary Schools Designated Safeguarding Leads are:
Whilst the prime focus of West Heath Primary School is to secure the best educational provision for children, the school believes that the safety, welfare and care of children is paramount. We are therefore committed to the highest standards in protecting and safeguarding the children entrusted into our care at all times. Our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available here.
In order to protect our children, we aim to:
- Create an atmosphere where all our children can feel secure, valued and listened to
- Recognise signs and symptoms of abuse
- Respond quickly and effectively to cases of suspected abuse
- Monitor and support children at risk
- Use the curriculum to raise children’s awareness, build confidence and skills
- Work closely with parent/carers and support external agencies
- Ensure that all adults within our school/service who have access to children have been checked as to their suitability
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies when there are concerns about a child’s welfare. We will ensure that concerns about our children are discussed with parents/carers first unless we have reason to believe that such a move will result in further harm to the child.
At West Heath Safeguarding is not just about protecting children from deliberate harm such as abuse or neglect but preventing them from harm through the following:
- Pupil health and safety
- Bullying; racist abuse; harassment and discrimination
- Meeting the needs of pupils with medical conditions
- Providing First Aid
- Safe educational visits
- Pastoral care
- Internet safety
- School security
We ensure that children are growing up in a safe environment at home and school which enables them to have optimum life chances and enter adulthood successfully and happily.